Monday, March 8, 2010

Argentina and the United States
By: Amanda Noble

I was going to do this post on the misunderstandings and prejudices of Argentinians in the Unites States however, due to the resent meeting of Secetary Clinton to Argentina I felt this was important and relevant to the immigration population here in the United States. If the United States and Argentina can continue to meet and create a better understanding of each other then I feel that Americans that are not Argentinians will have a better understand and a greater acceptance of those from Latin American.

Over the past few months Argentina and the United States have not been meeting. During Hillary Clinton's tour of South America, she has decided not to visit Argentina. However, at the last minute she decided to add argentina to her list adnd meet with its President Christina Fernandez de Kirchner. According to an article by the New York Times dated Feb 28, 2010 Argentina has been having disputes with England over the Falkland Islands and now England is drilling off the coast upsetting Argentina and the United States has not taken a side in the dispute.


Clinton and Presiden Kirschner

I would imagine that Argentina had seen this as a deliberate attempt to avoid the dispute since Clinton is not willing to visit the country. The long standing problems with S. Americana and the United States goes back a long time. When the United States had passed the Immigration law that forbade migrant workers from mexico this unintentially included all S. Americans. Immigration from Argentina to the Unites States has doubled from 1994 to 2004 according to the DHS office of immigration. Most of the immigrants are positioned in California, Florida, and New York and the rest in surrounding states. To other Americans they are considered Mexican American although they are not from Mexico. The majority of them are in reunification programs that reunites them with their families and so are legal and documented.

I would like to focus this posting on that meeting and the way the United States is trying to build bonds with a country that has the potential to be a strong ally with the United States. Argentina is the second largest power in South America. On the America.gov website the converstaion between Clintona and Kirchner was written down and there are some important aspects to that converstation.

While Clinton talked about the relief aid Argentina has sent to Haiti and the effort to be rid of terrorism, Argentina has a history of terrorism against their country, Kirschner has her own agendas that she presented to Clinton. A few are the issues of a request of mediation between England and themselves to find a middle gound over the Falkland Islands. It was interesting to hear that Clinton beat around the bush about the only request made by the Argentinian president. President Kirschner is scheduled to come to Washington, I am interested if this move will incourage a better understanding of the Argentinian people or create more problems for them. If you would like to read more about this converstaion the link is:
http://www.america.gov/st/testrans-english/2010/march/20100302132819xjsnommis0.2797619.html




8 comments:

  1. its ridiculous that clinton was visting south america but was going to disclude argentina! that seems a bit ignorant to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post. I have learned something new today and read a great conversation on the govt. web. This is an area where I am completely uneducated. I know very little about Argentina an now have a desire to learn a bit more. It seems that Clinton may have figured out that Argentina may play a bigger role in the future,and hopefully a positive relationship can be built.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing this has really made me think, most of what I think about a person from another country has a lot to do with what I know about that country.
    If I hear on the news that the country is poor and their education system is not as good as ours then I will think that everyone who comes from there is poor and uneducated regardless of anything.
    If the United States cannot create better relations with Argentina and we start hearing negative things about the country I have to remember that it does not reflect the people, especially already in the U.S., what the government does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your post and for the gov. link. It was interesting to read. I also thought it was interesting how your post commented on how Clinton avoided the conversation with Argentina president, although I don't think she has sole power to make the decision whether or not we can mediate something like that.

    I was also unaware that we were not meeting with Argentina until she decided to change her schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the information and your personal experiences with it. It is a good topic because I never knew much about any of this stuff. I get very confused on the differences in Latin cultures. Wait...It is Latin, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was full of a lot of information, and was nicely put together. The biggest thing that I felt I learned from it was the fact that the president of Argentina is a female, I viewd Argentina as having a male president. I also never knew that they had a history of problems when it came to terrorism. I feel as though it is really important for the United States to build a relationship with Argentina basically because they are the second largest power in South America.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have hit on the bigger issue here in your post. Prejudices come from somewhere and when we have heads of the country attempting to exclude others it sends a strong message to the people. People may think well if our representatives are staying away from that country there must be a reason and since they are elected representatives I should in some way isolate myself from those people as well. It think that it is a bit misaligned having Secretary Clinton meeting with the President. I'm not all that familiar with govt. roles but I wouldn't think that Clinton would have the power to say that the U.S. would be a mediator between Argentina and England.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jess I agree with you and I think your post was well said, I had missed this post the first time around and reading over it now I am shocked, as morgan was, that Secretary Clinton was going to "skip" Argentina

    ReplyDelete